What is the ESCAPE trails Couch to 5k programme?
The Couch to 5k programme was designed by Josh Clark in 1996, as a way for him to get over a relationship break-up. It has since gone on to become hugely popular around the world. Over the course of 10 weeks, the programme helps beginner runners build-up to the 5k distance.
ESCAPE trails would usually run a C25k group face-to-face, but because of social distancing guidelines this is not currently possible. We realise that people still want to exercise during the coronavirus outbreak, and still need the support of other runners. So we have created an online C25k group. By joining the group, you can complete a virtual programme, and still get some of the benefits of a face to face group.
We will run face-to-face ESCAPE trails C25k groups once the social distancing restrictions have been lifted. You will be able to find dates for these in our events section.
Whilst we will always prefer to run groups face-to-face, we recognise that, for many reasons, these are not suitable for everybody. However, running on your own can make it hard to stick to a plan and stay motivated. Our virtual programme is designed to fill the gap between running in a group and running alone. Importantly, it still offers a community, with the support and motivation for someone running alone to stick to a plan and smash that 5k.
How does it work?
- Our virtual programme gives you the option to join whenever you like, rather than waiting for specific dates.
- The 10-week programme costs £10, just fill-in the form below and submit your payment via Paypal or credit / debit card.
- Once we receive your form, you will be sent an invitation via email to join our private ESCAPE trails C25k Facebook group.
- You will also receive an invitation to join our Final Surge page, which will allow you to view a training diary and track your progress.
- By using Final Surge we can easily change your plan if necessary. If you miss a day, or certain days don’t work for you, we can reschedule them. This makes the programme easier to stick to, increasing your chances of success.
- You have options to update your training calendar manually or automatically via platforms such as Strava. You can also receive a daily email with details of your workout for the next day.
- Once you have completed the programme – and achieved that 5k – you have the option to either leave the Facebook group, or to stay and offer support to others in the group.
- Everyone that finishes the programme will receive a medal. You will also get a 10% discount towards any one of our “Intro To Trail Running Events”. These events are a perfect way to progress with your running and experience the fun of trails.
Terms and conditions
- If you change your mind and decide that our group isn’t for you, we will offer you a full refund as long as you have not already received your plan and been added to our Final Surge page.
- If you have received your plan and are part-way through a programme, but no longer able to complete the full ten weeks, we will not be able to offer a refund. However, you are free to remain in the group and restart the programme at a later date.
- ESCAPE trails recommends that you consult with your doctor before beginning any exercise programme, and only undertake the programme if you feel you are able to do so safely.
- When participating in any exercise programme, or virtual event, there is the possibility of physical injury. You should always assess the suitability of the exercise, and location, in order to ensure no risk is posed to others or yourself. If you engage in this exercise or all elements of a programme, physical activity or virtual event, you agree that you do so at your own risk and you are voluntarily participating in these activities, as well as assuming all risk of injury to yourself. In doing so, you agree to release and discharge ESCAPE trails from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of the use of this guidance.
- Please follow any current government guidelines on social distancing, and limits on exercising, do not put yourself or anyone else at risk.